Tarnowskie Góry

In 1829, a document was created declaring the need to join Opole and Tarnowskie Góry with a railway line. This thought probably occurred to many people, yet it was not until 1855 that Count Andreas Renard established the building committee, Oppeln-Tarnowitzer Eisenbahn Geselschaft. On 12 February 1857 the first goods train departed from Zawadzkie to Tarnowskie Góry, and one year later the line reached Opole.

 

The temporary station building in Tarnowskie Góry, massive and made of brick, was surrounded by a provisional station, containing an engine house for four machines, sheds for carriages, coal entanglement, administration building, forge shop and water intake. A telegraph was set for use to carry messages to Germany and Austria.

 

The former station building, however, could not satisfy the needs of railway traffic, increasing with every year. Therefore, in 1888-1890 the station building was extended, a spacious concourse was added, and the whole surroundings remodelled. The design was made by Robert Honsh, designer of many tenement houses at Wrocław market. This is how a tempo-rary provisional building turned into a Neo-Renais-sance, two-storey edifice, placed on a stone plinth. The façade was decorated with crests of Wrocław and Tarnowskie Góry, and bet-ween them, the crest of the Kingdom of Prussia (currently replaced with the Polish emblem). The interiors were finished with great artistry. We know about it only from scarce descrip-tions, because in 1960 the interiors were transformed into a quasi-social realist style.

 

A general overhaul was carried out in 2007. A tunnel with exits to the platforms leads from the main concourse. Due to careful preservation of historic assets, for instance façade ornaments, it is presently one of the most impressive railway stations in Upper Silesia, as well as in Poland. Nearby, there is Pyrzowice airport, so the Tarnowskie Góry station can be considered one with the best connections in the country.

 

It is worth knowing that trains which carried hundreds of millions of tons of coal to Gdynia depart on the main line from Tarnowskie Góry. This is where one of the largest shunting stations in Europe is placed, and a significant percentage of the population are railwaymen.

 

In the period before steam locomotives, the first steam engine outside the British Isles was brought in to Tarnowskie Góry. Its work was admired by Goethe, and immortalised in his poetry. Probably he did not even suspect how steam and railway would change the city.

Wersja do druku Wersja do druku | Mapa witryny
© Całość praw autorskich - Antoni Bochen, Filip Wiśniewski