The Gdańsk University of Technology – on the right track for 110 years!
• Chair of Railway Transport founded in 1904
• Scientific research related to railways has been conducted since the establishment of the university.
The Pomeranian Metropolitan Railway – a groundbreaking investment in Pomeranian Voivodeship The alumni and staff of the Gdańsk University of Technology together are building the Pomeranian Metropolitan Railway (PKM) to run on the pre-war Wrzeszcz-Kokoszki railway route.
The goals of PKM:
• revolutionize public transport in the Tri-City and in the Kashubian region
• provide a connection from Gdańsk and Gdynia to the airport in Rębiechowo
• offer an alternative solution to motor traffic jams
• fast, more economical and sustainable railway transport
The Gdańsk University of Technology takes part in the initiative of the Rail Transportation Consortium.
The goals of the consortium:
• bring the Polish railways closer to the world’s standards
• put a high-speed railway construction programme into operation in Poland
• implement the Long-Term Programme "A journey by rail into the 21st century – the system of scientific, technical and educational support for the development of railway transport and integrated regional transport systems" in 2015-2024.
In the consortium the University is the coordinator of the Thematic Strategy Group "Innovative solutions and optimisation of railroads".